⚠️ This article refers to Pico Version 1.17 and will be removed or updated in the future once we release Pico Version 2.0.
Setting up donation plans allows you to ask your members to support your community mission. You can add a donation plan to your current mix of monetization strategies or choose to only offer donation plans.
A donation can be made as a one time instance or as a recurring monthly option.
How to create Donation Plans:
- Under the Monetization Plan section of the Pico dashboard click on "Add Plan"
- Select "Donation" and click on "Get Started"
Donation plans are similar to subscription plans in how they present with a couple of important distinctions:
- They do not restrict access to your site (you cannot lock article content, but you can still use the registration rule to lock content in conjunction with donation rules)
- While you can specify the suggested amounts, users can give whatever amount they choose to.
- You can customize the frequency of when a donation prompt would display in the same way you would for registration rules or monetization plans. For example, you can present the plan every 4th page, or display on tagged articles.
- You can enable a static landing page for each donation plan
- At the moment, the available donation frequency options are "one time" and "monthly" (try creating a subscription plan to offer an "annual" recurring contribution option)
If you don't want to allow recurring donations, you can present only one-time donations to users. To do so, edit the plan and remove all monthly options from the offer screen, with last suggestion blank as shown in the screenshot below. Saving this plan will then only show the one-time options to users.
Exposure – Who does this rule apply to?
You can choose who to present your customized donation plan to from the "Exposure" tab, including:
- multiple audiences
- a single audience
- and/or to a single member (by adding and sharing a Discount Code)
Because donations have no minimum, donation plans cannot be hidden behind discount codes. If a user does not match the audience for a donation plan, they can find it by going to the landing page for that plan.
Offer – What is being offered with your donation plan?
The "Offer" tab is where you set the logic of your offer, both with respect to access rules as well as pricing. Monthly and One-time donations are currently available options.
To offer a custom donation amount, click on the "minus" or "add a suggestion" icon:
Custom Text – Customize the language displayed on your donation prompt
For more information on how to customize your prompt text
You can customize what language you would like to present to "First-time" donors, donors who return to your site, and monthly donors by clicking on the "Customize" field on the right hand side:
By adding a feature, you can communicate the benefit that donors will receive. Click on the "Add a feature" plus icon to enter multiple features. (As a reminder, donation plans can't restrict site access through Pico, so that shouldn't be one of your features. If you want to implement a paywall, use a subscription plan instead).
How members can use their menu to manage donations:
Once you have created and saved your donation plan, your registered users will also see their options to engage with and manage donations:
Once a member has donated, their menu will display more options: